Sunday, August 28, 2011

Old House Revival Priorities

We bought a beautiful house that's nearly a century old and has much work that needs to be done. In reviving* our new house, in fact, there's so much to be done that it can't all be done at once, so we're having to really decide what should be done in which order. And since this is my first house, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm trying to ask advice of more experienced relatives and do as much research as I can on design blogs and the This Old House website and books from the library. So right now what I'm thinking is:

Safe and Clean
Obviously making sure everything is safe and clean so the toddler can have free license to explore the new digs is the number one priority.

"Public Spaces"
My next goal is to (as much as possible anyway) make the main floor of my house pretty because that is the part of the house company will see when they come over. I also count the exterior in that, but probably won't do much with that beyond trimming back weeds etc. until spring due to weather.

Most Used Spaces
Once that's taken care of, I'll move on to spaces that are more private, but used often, like our bedroom and bathroom. We'll make sure they're safe and clean right away, but then eventually will work on making them awesome and decorated to suit our tastes.

Other Spaces
We won't really need to use our attic or basement right away, but it would be nice to eventually finish them nicely and decorate them and stuff once the other areas are taken care of.

How do you decide which household projects to tackle first?

*I checked out a book called Reviving Old Houses the other day from my local library and loved the term the author coined and his explanation of why-I agree totally that the goal should be to show off the things that are beautiful about your features, but update the things that are not beautiful or no longer functional. It's not a museum after all, but a home.

2 comments :

Cassie said...

Congrats on the new house! I haven't read your blog in a while I forgot you changed blogs. Anyway I put you in my reader now so I can read along!

Crunchy Con Mommy said...

Thanks for tracking me down again Cassie! Now that we're moved in I need to catch up on my blog reading too-I'm hoping you've posted some adorable pics of your sweet new baby :)