Saturday, September 24, 2011

Felt Halloween Coasters Tutorial: Jack O'Lantern & Candy Corn

Upon moving into our new house, we discovered that we no longer own any coasters, and to rectify matters and add some seasonal flair to our house, I decided to whip up some Halloween inspired felt coasters. They're super easy to make and add cheerful fall colors to your table. Want to make some of your own? Here's how I did it:

Materials:


  •  Felt (any type will work, but the higher the wool concentration, the more absorbent it will probably be) in orange for either, black and brown for the pumpkin, and yellow and white for the candy corn. Scraps should be plenty for one or a pair; you’ll probably need sheets or yardage to make large quantities.
  • Matching embroidery floss
  • Embroidery needle

 
Candy Corn:

  • First, cut a triangle out of orange felt to be your base. I made the widest part of my triangle wider than the base of the cup I want it to be for and made the triangle slightly longer than it is wide.
  • Trim your corners so they're rounded. Real candy corn isn't sharp, so neither should the points of your coaster be!
  • Cut strips of orange, white, and yellow felt to be the top of your candy corn. I started with rectangles. After eating an entire Brach's candy corn researching for accuracy I determined that orange should be the middle color with yellow on top and white for the tip.
  • Pin or hold in place your strips and trim the sides to be even with the sides of the base. You should also trim the top of the white and bottom of the yellow pieces now. I left the orange piece a litle bit big so there was about 1/4 inch of overlap under each of the other two colors. Mine ended up pretty straight, but don't stress it if they aren't. My uh "research" found that many pieces of candy corn have slightly diagonal lines rather than strictly horizontal lines between colors.
  • Place the yellow piece and orange top piece on top of your orange base and stitch down using a decorative stitch of your choice. I used scroll stitch (which is actually super easy) but I think a simple running stitch would work just as well if you aren't in the mood for learning a new stitch. I used orange floss for this. Next, place the white on top of the orange and stitch it down too, using the same stitch or a different one for variety.
  • Now trim all of your pieces so they match the base.
  • Blanket stitch all the way around

Jack O'Lantern:

  • First, use the biggest cup you like to drink from regularly and cut a circle a little bit bigger than the cup’s base out of orange felt. Basically any roundish shape will work, but I tend to like fairly round pumpkins that are slightly wider than they are tall. If you’re making a lot, try making lots of different shapes for extra charm!
  • Next, cut a black circle just barely smaller than the orange circle (so it doesn’t stick out the edges)
  • Draw or trace a face or design you like on the orange circle. Cut it out using small scissors or an Xacto knife.
  • Cut a small rectangular piece of brown felt to be your stem (make it slightly longer than you actually want it to be since part of it will be hidden).
  • Place the orange circle on the black circle and tuck the stem in between the two layers at the top.
  • Stitch as desired. I used a simple running stitch around the edge about ¼ in from the edge and I think it is cute and sturdy!

 For extra fun, let your kids draw the pumpkin faces for you on paper circles the right size and you'll have cute coasters to remember their art by! (I drew this myself, but my drawing skills are about the same as a first grader. Luckily I'm better at crafts than art! On further reflection, I probably would stick to candy corn coasters if you're as awesomely bad as me at drawing)

2 comments :

Cassie said...

What a cute idea!! Maybe I'll try these, if I have the time, they would look so cute on the coffee table!

Crunchy Con Mommy said...

Thanks! They seriously took like 5 minutes to make, and the nice thing with hand-sewing stuff is that you can do it while sitting on a couch watching a toddler play. Not sure how that would work for you with a new baby too though-I didn't do much sewing until my son was like a year old at least! Maybe if she's sleeping and he's playing?