Friday, October 28, 2011

Homegrown Faith: Book Review

What it is
A devotional book for moms with a short story and corresponding reflective questions for each week for each week of the year.

Who wrote it
Heidi Bratton, a mom of 6 and well-known Catholic author of over 20 books

My thoughts
I really enjoyed this book. I loved that the chapters are 1.) short and 2.) designed to be read each week rather than daily, because I think that makes it totally practical for pretty much any mom to actually be able to have time to read this book (as opposed to a daily devotional that might become overwhelming...am I the only one who tends to give up once I get a few days behind?) I think her stories are engaging and mostly hit on really universal themes that any mom could relate too. I did think a few of the chapters seemed sort of arbitrarily thrown in there-namely the ones about a mission trip she took to South America. They didn't feel like they flowed with the rest of the book very well, even though they were well-written, relatable, and made me think just as much as the other chapters. I can see this book being especially great for something like a playgroup/book group where the moms want to read a book together and chat about it but don't want something so overly complicated that they can't also watch their kids while doing it! A few of her suggestions were too cheesy for my tastes, like talking about what scents make you want to be virtuous, or drawing a picture of an activity your family likes doing together. I would certainly not want to actually have to do all of her suggested activities!

Pros
  • Short chapters for busy moms
  • Enjoyable and relatable

Cons
  • Some pretty cheesy suggestions for reflection activities
  • Some chapters don't quite fit in

The Bottom Line
This book is definitely worth buying to read by yourself or as part of a group. I'd also recommend it as a gift for a Catholic mom in your life. The book can be started at any time, but the first chapter corresponds with the first week of Advent, so now would be an especially perfect time to start reading it!

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Homegrown Faith. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments :