Monday, October 10, 2011

Rainy Day Fall Fun

I definitely need to get some great rainboots for my son and I, but until then, a rainy fall morning means inside fun. So what are we up to?

Counting Pumpkins
I bought some small pumpkins for decorative purposes, but decided to place them in a basket in the playroom until I was ready to do my crafty things with them (ideally, putting the smallest 2-3 in the nook of a wreath for my front window). My son loves them. He counts them. He stacks them. He requests I sing "5 Little Pumpkins" approximately 10,000,000,000 times per day. He drives them around in a Little People schoolbus. I'm not sure I'll have the heart to take them away when I'm ready for wreath-building!

Homemade Play Dough
I use my mom's recipe of:
3 cups flour
3 cups water
1 1/2 cup salt
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cream of tartar.

Mix it all together in a saucepan over medium/low heat until it gets thick and starts pulling away from the sides. Add food coloring and/or glitter as desired. Watch for plastic cookie cutters, toy rolling pins, and even Playdough brand toys at garage sales to enhance the doughy fun without spending a bunch!

Going Visiting
On a blustery day, visiting someone's house (like Grandma's house!) can be an easy way to ward off cabin fever. Plus, it's fun to have someone else to chat with! If you don't have relatives nearby, ask a friend to bring her kids over, then maybe next stormy day it'll be her turn to host!

No comments :