Friday, November 11, 2011

Scents from Nature I Love

Have you heard about the fun sweepstakes 7th Generation is running? They are giving away a trip to an exotic and lovely scented place of your choice, like France, Italy, or Vermont. To spread the word, they wanted to know what natural scents moms love and where they take us. Here are a few of mine:


Salty Sea Breeze

The air at the beach always smells…unique. And while some people might not like the combination of seaweed and salt, to me it will always make me think of warm summer days spent on the beach playing with my brothers when I was a kid in California. I loved making sandcastles, searching for seashells, and even playing Frisbee (even though I was terrible at it). Somehow I even have fond memories of peanut butter sandwiches that were slightly crunchy from actual sand. It sounds gross now, but back then it was just another part of the beach experience!

Real Christmas Trees

For the past several years we lived in apartment buildings where we were sadly not allowed to have real Christmas trees, but growing up it was a family tradition for both my family and my husband’s family. When I smell that fresh piney smell, I’m taken to past Christmases full of candlelight and cocoa, of matching jammies and bow-covered presents piled high under the tree.

Apples

I love the scent of fresh apples…and apples baking! When we lived in California, we used to drive up to a little town in the mountains at least once each fall and stock up on fresh apples, (plus the rest of the time had them on stock from the grocery store!), and when we lived in the Midwest continued to find fresh apples from local orchards each fall for a special treat. My favorite kind is golden delicious, but I've always loved Granny Smiths and Braeburns too. The scent of apples takes me to that little mountain town and to my mom’s kitchen where the pies were the best I’ve ever had!

Lilacs

My Grandad was an avid gardener, and one of the showpieces of his garden was a giant lilac bush. Every spring it would bloom with sparkling white flowers and fill the entire yard with a beautiful scent. Even now that he’s gone, I remember him whenever I smell lilacs and hope I’ve inherited his green thumb. I remember at least twice growing up begging for a pair of overalls because that’s what Grandad wore to garden-which he seemed to spend most of his spare time doing-and I wanted to match him. Lilacs make me think of his overalls and his love!

What scents from nature do you love?

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Seventh Generation blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

1 comment :

MaryKate said...

Fun post! And fun sweepstakes:)