Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011 Reflections & 2012 Predictions for Sewing!

Sew, Mama Sew! asked bloggers to post about their favorite trends of 2011 and their predictions and plans for 2012, and I thought it'd be fun to play along. So here are my thoughts:

Sewing Trends I loved in 2011:
  • Mug rugs.
  • Contests where you win prizes for sewing stuff, like Prudent Baby's embroidery and knit stocking contests, Sew Mama Sew's doll quilt contest, and Stitched in Color's fall colors contest.
  • Hedgehogs.
  • Cute but-not-boring boy-friendly fabrics like Zoology and I Heart Cute-bots
My Favorite Project of 2011:
The felt "fruits of the spirit" in my header were all hand-sewn and embroidered by me as a Christmas present for my niece who's almost 1. I think they turned out really adorable and I definitely grew as a seamstress by doing them-I learned several new stitches just to make them, plus gained a lot of experience with soft toy construction in the process (I modified a few patterns from other people and made some of them out of my own patterns!)

Trend I'm SO Over:

Toadstools. They're moderately cute, but the drug connotations make them something I don't feel like I can really put on kid stuff, and seems like they were everywhere in 2012.


What I Predict for 2012:

I saw Amanda Carestio predicted on Sew Mama Sew that we'll see more dinosaurs in 2011 & I really hope she's right. I think we might see lots of fun patriotic projects this year as it is both an Olympic year and presidential election year. I also think we'll see lots of juxtaposition of neutrals like gray with bright neon colors and deep colors like tangerine tango.

I don't think the natural parenting movement is going anywhere, so I think patterns that crafty moms can use to make toys and clothes for their own kids-or with their own kids-are going to continue to be hot, and so are sustainable supplies to make them with like organic cotton and locally-sourced wool. Oh and animal hats for kids are hot on the playgrounds near me-I hope we see lots of fun tutorials for variations on that theme!

My crafting hopes & dreams for 2012:

I'd really love to make my first quilt in 2012. I'm also hoping to learn to sew with knits better so I can make my own clothes and do simple alterations to my existing wardrobe.

I'll definitely be making fun soft toys for my toddler son and my toddler niece too.

  
My thoughts on social media in 2011:

I love social media. Sure, some people are jerks, but I think the information sharing and friendships it enables are worth encountering a few trolls. For example, the other day I tweeted Bari Ackerman of Bari J and We Love French Knots a question about what needle to use with weaver's cloth...and she actually replied! Pre-twitter a fabric designer and sewing book author who lives across the country from me & who I've never met would have been totally inaccessible to me. Instead I was able to gain knowledge from her and find out how super nice she is. And that is pretty awesome in my book! I would love to see the craft community catch up to the mommy blog community in terms of twitter parties (with fun prizes!) though!

What crafty trends did you like in 2011? What do you want to see more of in 2012?

No comments :