Friday, February 3, 2012

Food Network's Almost-Famous Breadsticks

I'm attempting to bake something bread-y 50ish times in 2012 and plan on posting lots of recipes and pictures to let you know how it's going. I hope you're inspired to bake something too!
Delicious...but were they worth it?
This week I baked Food Network's Almost-Famous Breadsticks and while my husband loved them, I wasn't too thrilled myself. I guess for me they just aren't enough better than French bread to justify the white sugar and butter in them, or how sticky and difficult to work with the dough was. I was also unable to make them turn out nice and evenly shaped, which was frustrating. I certainly wouldn't make them for a dinner party, because why serve lumpy breadsticks when I could have nice rounded baguettes or rolls? They did taste pretty delicious (my husband said they were much, much yummier than French bread) and are an excellent side for any kind of Italian dish...if for some reason you're opposed to French bread.

Before rising. I thought they'd get less lumpy.

After rising and baking: still lumpy.

2 comments :

Honey @ Sunflower Schoolhouse said...

Those look so yummy. Now, I am hungry.

Crunchy Con Mommy said...

They were yummy, and since I made them with whole wheat flour, actually pretty filling too.
Glad my mediocre pictures didn't spoil your appetite ;)