Monday, March 19, 2012

The Temperament God Gave Your Kids (book review)

What it is:
The Temperament God Gave Your Kids is the third in a series of books about how the classical Greek "temperaments"-updated with modern psychology, of course-affect modern families. This book is specifically targeted at parents and its subtitle "motivate, discipline, and love your children" gives a good peek at what the authors hope readers will come away better equipped to do.

Who wrote it:
A married couple, Art and Laraine Bennett, who previously wrote The Temperament God Gave You and The Temperament God Gave Your Spouse. You can follow Laraine on Twitter as @LaraineBennett.

First Impression:
I immediately liked the book and the common sense voice of the authors. One quote that stood out to me early on was
Most important for us as Catholic parents, it is vital to remember that the human person is never determined by his environment of his biology, but is fundamentally free. That is, our God-given temperament significantly influences our emotions and behavior, as does our environment, yet we are created by God to be masters of our own actions.
Pros:
  • Easy-to-read
  • Funny examples
  • Didn't favor any one temperament
Cons:
  • Focused on older kids
Overall Impressions:
I think they did a great job of including lots of real life examples to help apply the concepts they were talking about, although I wish they had included more examples for younger kids-I didn't notice many examples and tips that would be applicable to toddlers.
I also liked how easy they made it to identify personality types-I immediately recognized the personality type that my husband and son have-and that it wasn't my personality type. It was a little harder to recognize my own-I think I need to go get their first book and figure it out though (I think I am very much a mix, while my husband and son are clearly strongly one type, so that probably contributes to my trouble identifying my own type)!
And I thought they did a good job of pointing out strengths of each type, and how to help kids overcome their weaknesses, but without making any one type seem bad.

The bottom line:
This book is interesting, sensible, and a quick read. I'd definitely recommend it to parents, especially those who seem to have a very different personality type than their children!

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The temperament God gave your kids. They are also a great source for a baptism gifts or first communion gifts. I received a free copy of this book from the Catholic Company for review purposes but received no other compensation for this post.

No comments :