Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinnamon Apple Pancakes

This morning my son and I were craving pancakes, but I wanted to make them with a twist. So I modified the pancake recipe I usually use in a few ways and came up with these yummy appley treats that taste a lot less healthy than they are.

What you need:
  • 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk or sour milk
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1-2  apples

What you do:
  • mix wet ingredients
  • add dry ingredients and mix
  • peel apple and grate it into the batter
  • fry on a skillet like normal pancakes

My tips:
  • If you don't have buttermilk on hand, add a teaspoon or two of vinegar to the milk to sour it. Let it sit at least 5 minutes before adding anything else.
  • If you want to, feel free to mix the dry ingredients in a seperate bowl before mixing them into the wet ingredients.
  • For maximum apple flavor, I recommend two Granny Smith apples. If you only use one and/or use a milder flavored apple, you will hardly be able to taste the apple at all!

No comments :