What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk or sour milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-2 apples
What you do:
- mix wet ingredients
- add dry ingredients and mix
- peel apple and grate it into the batter
- fry on a skillet like normal pancakes
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand, add a teaspoon or two of vinegar to the milk to sour it. Let it sit at least 5 minutes before adding anything else.
- If you want to, feel free to mix the dry ingredients in a seperate bowl before mixing them into the wet ingredients.
- For maximum apple flavor, I recommend two Granny Smith apples. If you only use one and/or use a milder flavored apple, you will hardly be able to taste the apple at all!