Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I'm attempting to bake bread 50ish times in 2012 and I'm posting lots of recipes, pictures and tips of my progress-I hope they inspire you to bake too!

Today I baked cinnamon raisin bread, which always makes me think of my little brother-the two of us could eat a whole loaf of the cinnamon raisin bread from the grocery store (I forget which brand, but the it was the kind in the red bag)-in one sitting...although we usually tried to make it last a couple of days so we could have raisiny deliciousness more than once! I adapted the recipe from the Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart, one of the absolute best bread cookbooks I've found yet. Anyway, I think my brother would definitely enjoy a loaf of this just as much as I did-and I hope you will too!

What you need:
  • 3 1/2 cups flour, at least half of which should be bread flour or all-purpose flour
  • a pinch or two of salt
  • 2 tsp or one packet of instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar or 4 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp melted or mostly melted butter
  • 1/2 buttermilk or whole milk at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup room temperature or warm water (but not hot)
  • 1 1/2 cup raisins
What you do:
  • Mix all the dry ingredients (through cinnamon, and including granulated sugar if you used it but not agave)
  • Add wet ingredients, but not yet raisins
  • Mix
  • Knead 5ish minutes by machine or 9ish minutes by hand
  • Add raisins and knead 1 more minute
  • Let rise in lightly oiled, covered, bowl for 1-2 hours or until doubled
  • Punch down and form into two loaves
  • Place each loaf in a greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan, cover, and let rise another hour or so
  • Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then rotate pans and bake 20-30 more minutes or until goldeny brown
  • Cool for an hour before eating (if you have more self-restraint!)
My tips:
  • I use the same bowl for the dough to rise too-I just push the whole ball of dough off to the side, then pour the oil in the bottom, then roll the dough to lightly coat all sides with oil, then I cover it with a clean dishcloth

No comments :