Friday, June 29, 2012

For My Children: A Mother's Journal Book Review

Have you heard about the awesome new mother's journal by Dionna Ford of Code Name: Mama and Natural Parent's Network. It's called "For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes, and Wisdom" and it's a totally innovative twist on a baby book, asking moms questions like "Kids don't vote, but moms do-what issues were important to you as a mother?"  and "If you had unlimited funds, what would you do with the money?"
I love the beautiful illustrations and the creative questions. It's the kinds of things I'd love to know about my own mom (maybe I'll call her or e-mail her and ask her about some of them!). Not that it's not interesting to know when I took my first steps, or whether I liked pureed squash or peas better when I was 10 months old, but it's infinitely more interesting to know what my mom was like, what she valued and what she enjoyed. I'm excited to fill it out and share it with my kids someday when I have one or more old enough to appreciate it (all I have so far is a 2-year-old, and I don't think he realizes I have interests other than dinosaurs, Hot Wheels, cooking, sewing, and him yet). Someday he'll realize what a great resource this book is though (also seems like it might be good for pulling out in the teen years to prove I was once young and cool, lol)! Anyway, I'm really excited about this book and think it's a fun way to remember what I was like as a mom!

The bottom line: A fun book that I highly recommend for any mom, and which would make a great baby shower present!

I received a free copy of the book for review purposes but received no other compensation for this review.

1 comment :

Mary Kate said...

That sounds like a great book! I love baby books that are a little "out of the ordinary". Fun!