Saturday, September 8, 2012

Embroidered Towels-Show Off Time :)

As my mom's Christmas present for 2011 I promised to embroider or cross-stitch a towel for every month of 2012 (I am cheesy, so I made her a little card to go with the first one that said it was a "Towel of the Month Club" membership, lol). Anyway, here are my 3 most recent ones:

Would you care for some escargot?

This one has a long story, but I'll try to keep it short. Basically there's a funny French children's song about a snail who is slow (because he's a snail) and goes to the fair and does other silly things. We all liked it when we were little, so I created a pattern of a family of snails and slightly modified the first line of the song so that it says that the snail family is going to the fair. The snails represent my parents and my two brothers and me (I'm the cute pink one, of course). It's kind of a an unusual design, but it's special to our family!I used stem stitch and backstitch, and I used some old DMC flosses my mom had given me that no longer had their tags, so I don't really know what numbers I used!

They all fall down...
I used the fall leaf pattern from the adorable fall pattern set Mollie from Wild Olive posted on her blog last October, but I left off the smiley faces. I used stem stitch and DMC floss. I may use another of her cute patterns later in the year!
 
 
I scream, you scream, we all scream for...kitchen towels?
I used a pattern from the Split Stitch to make this ice cream cross-stitch towel. My Dad's favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip and my mom likes both strawberry and vanilla with chocolate chips, so I customized it a little to be their favorite flavors. The entire thing is done in cross-stitch in DMC floss. The shine on the bowl and cherries is satin floss instead of cotton.
 
I'm having so much fun coming up with interesting ideas for my mom's towels every month that I think I'm going to be sad next year when I don't feel like I have a good excuse to have to sew all the time.

No comments :