Friday, September 21, 2012

Homemade Playdough recipe

By request from some of my new friends on the BabyCenter messageboards, I decided to share my homemade playdough recipe with you! This is the recipe that my mom used to make dough for my brothers and I when we were little, and I love using it to make dough for my own son.

It's made of all edible ingredients, so it's safe to eat, but it's so salty, your kids probably won't be tempted to try it more than once (and yes, I know this because I ate it myself as a kid-I still remember the saltiness!)

What you need:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cup salt
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tbsp cream of tartar
  • Food coloring or unsweetened Kool-Aid powder as desired (it'll be sorta off-white if you don't dye it. Yellow was my personal favorite playdough color!)
What you do:
  • Mix all ingredients in a large saucepan
  • Cook over medium heat until it's thick (hard to stir) and starts to come away from the edges of the pan.
  • Plop dough onto some wax paper 
  • When it's cool enough, knead a few times to even out the texture/moisture.
  • Play!!!
My tips:
  • I store it in a large ziplock bag in the fridge until it eventually dries out or I decide it's old enough to be gross (usually a couple of months-I've never noticed any odors or mold or anything, I just figure dough that old wouldn't be good for him to lick!)
  • For kids old enough you know they won't even try to eat any, add glitter for extra fun! I'd probably add it at the very end right before kneading and work it in that way.
  • Babies may not be sure what to do with it, but will like feeling the texture and patting it. My son loved it when I pushed his foot or hand into the dough to make a footprint or handprint, and thought it was hilarious when I made shapes or animals (I'm a terrible artist, so they were pretty funny...)

Next batch I make I'm going to try putting some raspberry or blueberry teabags in the water for a while before making the dough to see how the colors turn out. I'll update this blog post to share how well it works (or that it didn't work).

No comments :