Friday, October 26, 2012

Artisan Soda: Cookbook Review

What it is:
Artisan Soda Cookbook is exactly what it sounds like: page after page of easy recipes to make your own syrups for soda!

Who wrote it:
Food writer Andrea Lynn, a pro with a culinary degree and a background writing for a variety of foodie publications. She blogs on her website here.

What I loved:
This book is chock-full of easily customizable soda syrup recipes ranging from classic cola to more exotic fare like basil. It's pretty comprehensive-the only type of soda I can even think of that wasn't in the book was a Dr. Pepper knock-off. And it had a bazillion types of soda I'd never even thought of! I was especially thrilled that it had a recipe for chocolate soda. Chocolate soda is my dad's favorite, but has become increasingly difficult to find at restaurants, even ones with soda fountains. I love that we can now make it at home for him anytime!

What I'd change:
I wish more of the cooking terms were defined. My first attempt was cherry limeade, and I wasn't quite sure what "muddle" meant. And I'm afraid that resulted in me muddling the recipe instead of the cherries...

The Bottom Line:
A worthy read for anyone interested in making their own soda!

I received a free copy of this book for review purposes, but received no other compensation for this post.

No comments :