Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cheesy Spider Dogs: Halloween Recipe!

My son wanted hotdogs and macaroni & cheese for lunch the other day, so I decided to try my own spin on something I saw on Pinterest recently. The basic concept I saw online was to put spaghetti noodles through hotdogs and then cook them. To make a Halloweeny fun treat, I cut the hot dogs into fairly small pieces and put exactly 4 spaghetti noodles through each so each "spider" would have 8 legs! Wanna make cheesy spider dogs for your own family? Here's how I did it:

What you need:
  • hot dogs! I used 1 nitrate/nitrite free all-beef hotdog per person
  • noodles-I used 4 per spider piece, about 16-24 per hotdog, plus added extra to fill the pot to the place I usually fill it to for 2 people's worth of macaroni!
  • cheese-I used about a cup of cheddar and 1/4 cup colby jack for 2 people
  • milk-1 used 1/4 cup for 2 people
What you do:
  • First, cut the hotdogs into 4-6 little chunks to be your spider bodies.
  • Poke 4 spaghetti noodles through each hot dog portion to make 8 legs on each spider
  • Boil noodles and spaghetti until spaghetti is cooked
  • Turn heat down to low and add milk and cheese
  • Stir until sauce is creamy and all cheese is melted
  • Add salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy!!
My tips:
  • To make this almost lactose-free, I use lactose-free whole milk and cheddar cheese (hard cheese have almost no lactose-hurray!). I do add a tiny bit of colby jack because it improves the texture so much, but you could leave it out!
  • If your noodles break when pushing them into the hot dog, try using a broken piece to poke the holes and then put whole noodles through the holes you've made.
  • Consider serving these on a fun Halloweeny plate to add seasonal flair!

No comments :