Sunday, October 28, 2012

Jack O'Lantern last-minute-Halloween-headband! Pics & tutorial.

Still need something Halloweeny to wear later this week? Or just want something fun? Try making an easy jack o'lantern headband. I whipped one up this weekend to wear to a Halloween event we were taking our preschooler to and am really happy with how it turned out. Here's how you can make one too:
I hate taking pictures of myself...but I love my new headband!

What you need:

  • Two scraps of fabric 2" by 14" (at least one needs to be orange)
  • Black embroidery floss
  • Needle n' thread
  • Sewing machine (optional)
  • Black grosgrain ribbon cut into two pieces-I recommend at least 18 inches of grosgrain so you have plenty to tie with! (measure your head to be sure how much you'll need and add several inches to accomodate tying a bow.

My embroidered jack o'lantern headband!!
What you do:
  • Cut the strips of fabric so that they taper slightly and are identical to each other (my headbands are 1/2" wide at the narrowest point) at the ends (or use this wonderful headband tutorial to get a basic headband template-it is quite a bit wider than my headband though, and I still recommend just using the main portion of it, and using ribbon for the rest of it!). It doesn't matter much if the ends are rounded or squared off, as long as you like the way it looks!
  • Embroider a jack o'lantern face right in the middle of the orange strip, or sew on pieces of black felt to make an applique pumpkin face! I drew mine on first with a water soluble pen (use an orange Crayola washable marker if you don't have a water soluble pen!). You can make it up yourself, or find a cute one you like online-I love these jack o'lantern shirt stencils from Craft Buds and think it'd be easy to adapt them to this project!
  • Place the ends of each strip of grosgrain in between the edges of the headband
  • Sew the two strips together-I used a zigzag stitch with black thread on my sewing machine 1/8" from the edge of the headband. I recommend using a decorative stitch since it will show!
  • Cut any excessive fraying off (a little bit of fray is cute!), tie on to your head, and feel cute!

No comments :