Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Catholic Family Advent: Book Review

I recently had the opportunity to reivew a great new book, A Catholic Family Advent, and I'm excited to share my thoughts about it with you!

What it is:
A Catholic Family Advent is a book with Bible verses, prayers, discussion questions, activities suggestions for families to do each day in Advent.

Who wrote it:
Susan Hines-Brigger, a Catholic mom of 4 and managing editor of the St. Anthony Messenger. She writes the "Catholic Mom Speaks" column for the St. Anthony Messenger and blogs at Too Tired to Blog.

First Impressions:
I immediately liked this book because it is so pretty! Obviously that isn't enough to make a great book if the content is bad, but it sure makes me happy...and luckily the rest of the book lived up to the high expectations set by its prettiness!

Overall Impressions:
I really like this book! I love that each day has scripture excerpts, prayers, disuccsion questions, and activities. It seems like it'd be easy to adapt to fit our family. Some of the activities and many of the discussion questions clearly wouldn't work with my 3-year-old, but would be great for elementary school kids. I love the activity suggestions and plan to incorporate some of them into my activity Advent calendar rather than doing them when we do the Advent wreath. I think I'll probably plan on lighting the wreath each night before dinner and reading the Bible verse of the day, then blow them out after a nice candlelit dinner. One other thing I really loved about this book is that it is written to be usable every year. Advent can vary from 22 to 28 days depending on which day of the week Christmas falls, and I think it was a great idea to include pages for every day of the longest Advent to really make this a preactical, usable book for more than just one year. And at the time of posting, the book was only $6.95 from the Catholic Company, which is a really awesome price for a book to use each Advent!

The Bottom Line:
A great book for Catholic families to use year after year. Especially appropriate for families with elementary school aged children
.
Get it: To order A Catholic Family Advent directly from the The Catholic Company, click here.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on A Catholic Family Advent. The Catholic Company is the best resource for all your family Advent activities and supplies this year, such as Advent wreaths and calendars for kids, as well as Christmas decorations such as nativity scene sets and religious Christmas gifts for the whole family.

**Last time I checked the book was sold out from the Catholic Company and the link was directing to their homepage instead of the book itself. I still highly recommend getting it when it is back in stock!**

No comments :