Tuesday, March 26, 2013

150 Best Donut Recipes: Cookbook Review

What it is:
150 Best Donut Recipes is a cookbook full of fried and baked donut recipes of all sorts!

Who wrote it: George Geary, a professional chef whose resume includes working as a pastry chef for the Walt Disney Company, judging hundreds of cooking competitions, and authoring 9 cookbooks.

My thoughts:
I really love the variety in this book-pretty much any flavor of donut you can think of can be found in this book, from classics like buttermilk and devil's food to more creative combinations like "Campfire S'more Donuts" and "Blackberry Bites" and a wide variety of types-fried and baked, cake and yeast, ring shaped, filled, and holes! Our favorite was the classic "Chocolate Cake Donut". I also loved how accessible to beginners the book is. I'd never deep fried anything before reading this book, and our donuts turned out awesome! He really takes the time at the beginning to explain the equipment and techniques that would be most useful in terms that are easy to understand. My only complaint is that there were no donuts that could be baked without using a special pan. And really, that's pretty typical. I've only found like one recipe ever for baked donuts that don't need a donut pan. I just wish he would've made more for me!

Pros:
  • Wide variety
  • Easy-to-understand
Cons:
  • Lack of donuts that can be baked on cookie sheet
The Bottom Line:
Definitely worth buying if you have any interest in baking handmade donuts!

I received no other compensation for this review other than a free review copy of this book from the publisher, Robert Rose and warm fuzzy feelings.

No comments :