Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Healthier Sweets for Easter Baskets

I have nothing against chocolate bunnies. (I'll almost certainly eat one this Easter.) But when I pictured the copious amounts of sweet treats my preschooler is going to eat this Easter, I couldn't help but wonder if there might be some products around to help make his basket just as delicious but a tad bit healthier. And I found some great options! Here are a few of my favorite ideas (along with prices if I know them):

Jolly Beans from SunRidge Farms:
Jelly beans are the quintessential Easter treat in my mind and these capture all the fun and flavor of conventional jelly beans without artificial flavors and colors! (They're also organic and 100% vegetarian!) $5.05 for 9oz*

Bunny grahams, cheddar bunnies, or fruit snacks from Annie's Bunnies:
Like healthier versions of Teddy Grahams, goldfish crackers, & ordinary fruit snacks, these snacks are packed with natural ingredients & flavors and are shaped like their namesake springtime animal. About $3/box at my local grocery store*.

Chocolate covered sunflower seeds from Sincerely Nuts:
Teeny little seeds pack a protein punch inside delicious chocolate coatings. $6.49/lb*

Joe-Joes from Trader Joes:
I used to get a box of these almost every time I went to Trader Joe's, but they never lasted long because we all 3 gobbled them down. These healthier chocolate sandwich cookies are so much tastier than Oreos, I still beg my parents to bring me some every time they visit now that I've moved somewhere with no TJ's. Dear Trader Joe's: please move to my city or start selling these online!

Dark chocolate oatmeal cookies from Kashi:
Dark chocolate chunks, oatmeal, & other natural ingredients combine to make scrumptious cookies. They're kind of large, so don't anticipate fitting them in Easter eggs! about $3/box at my local grocery store*

Sparx candy from Xlear:
Xylitol powered candy tastes delicious & actually leaves your teeth cleaner than before you ate it! My favorite is their citrus flavor (my husband preferred berry!) $1.49/tube*

*All prices were accurate at time of posting, but are subject to change and inflation over time just like the price of anything!

I did not receive any compensation for this post, but have received free sample products from some of these companies in the past, which is how I know I love them!

No comments :