Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why stay-at-home-moms (or at least this one!) should pay the bills

Our new baby (who's already 2 months old! how did that happen?!?) has had some health challenges, plus was a failed VBAC attempt to begin with, so we've had all sorts of medical bills coming from all sorts of places. And while my husband took over for the first few weeks, now that we are settled into our routine as a family of four, I thought it was time to take back over my bill-paying duties, and began writing checks for the bills trickling in. And with each check, I've found myself increasingly overcome with gratitude towards my husband.
Thankful for the wonderful insurance he chose (without going into too much personal financial detail, he has quite a bit of discretion over which policy to choose and chose one with the best maternity coverage and other benefits useful to our family). Thankful that he works so hard now and worked so hard in school so he could even have this job to work hard at so that we have ample money to pay the portion insurance doesn't. Thankful he doesn't waste money on frivolous things like beer and motorcycles-or even things some people consider basics, like cable and smartphones. Thankful that he thinks it's important enough for me to stay home with our boys that he does what it takes to make that possible.
And I'm thankful that I pay the bills. I know I have a tendency to be a little too Pollyanna-ish at times, and not really pay attention to the cold hard reality that is sometimes life. And it's easy to take it for granted that when I go to the grocery store I can buy anything I want and know that I have the money in my bank account to pay for it (although I don't shop that way...I try to be a good steward of our money too!) But paying the bills helps me slow down and remember the money is coming from the hard work of my husband that he does out of love of his family. And that's pretty awesome!

No comments :