Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review of Barnes & Noble Guide to Children's Books

What it is
The Barnes & Noble Guide to Children's Books is a exactly what it sounds--a handy reference with blurbs about hundreds of the best kids' books around. It's separated into sections according to age range and also features special sections on things like "innovative format" books, plus lists of Caldecott and Newbery award winners dating back to the 20's &30's!

Who wrote it
The Barnes & Noble Guide to Children's Books is "selected and reviewed" by Kaylee N. Davis, but also features essays from dozens of today's top children's authors like Sandra Boynoton, Mo Willems, and many more.
Babar! Jamberry! So many books I NEED!

My thoughts
I think Davis did a great job of putting this guide together. I can see it being super useful to anyone who buys or selects a lot of children's books! It was really funny to look through it with my preschooler and watch his eyes light up at a cover that caught his interest, then look and see that it was a book I loved as a kid but had long forgotten about! I liked the way it was broken into broad age categories so buyers wouldn't get too caught up in specific grades, but would still have an idea of whether a book was appropriate for the kid they were buying for. And I loved the handy list of award winning books!

Get it
You can buy the Barnes & Noble Guide to Children's Books directly from Barnes & Noble for about $9 at time of posting.*

The Bottom Line
A worthwhile buy for anyone who buys lots of kids' books. A must have for libraries, schools, daycares, and bookstores!



The Important Book! How have I never read that to my son?!?

I received a free review copy of this book but received no other compensation for this post.
*Always check current prices before buying. They can change quickly online!

No comments :