Thursday, November 14, 2013

Shepherds to the Rescue: Kids' Book Review

What it is
Shepherds to the Rescue is the first book in the Gospel TimeTrekkers series for kids

Who wrote it
Sister Maria Grace Dateno of the Daughters of Saint Paul. (Side note: I love that in her author bio blurb she proudly brags about having 22 niece and nephews so far!)

My thoughts
I think this book is so fun for kids! In Shepherds to the Rescue, three siblings are mysteriously transported to Ancient Bethlehem, where they end up befriending a young shepherd as they try to figure out what happened and how to get back home. 
I remember some videos we had in 90's with kids who were magically transported back to Bible days and that we totally loved them, so when I heard about these books, I had a feeling we would love them too. I think it's a fun and creative way of helping kids understand what life was like in times and places important events in Christian history occurred. The book was written at a level that I think most first or second graders could easily read, but was also fun for my 4.5 to listen to me read aloud. 

My kid thought
"I liked it! I liked the part when they got to go into Jesus land! And got to come back to normal land!"(He was slightly concerned they were trapped there forever). 


Get it
Shepherds to the Rescue is available from the Catholic Company for $5.95 at time of posting. 

This review is my last review written as part of the now defunct Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Gospel Time Trekkers:Shepherds to the Rescue Vol.1. Thanks for all the great books, Catholic Company, and good luck with the next chapter of your social media journey!


No comments :