Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Super Duper Princess Heroes Book Review

What it is
The Super Duper Princess Superheroes is a picture book for preschool and early elementary school aged kids about a group of girls who acquire super powers when they put on mysterious princess dresses they find outside while playing. 

Who wrote it
Sanjay Nambiar

What Mom thought
My super awesome sister-in-law, Crunchy Con Dance Mom, kindly reviewed this book with my 2.5 year old niece. Here's what she had to say:

The first thing that grabbed my attention with this book was the graphics! The illustrations are bright and colorful, and the characters look more "modern" that most childrens books. I also enjoyed the positive, "girls can do anything" message.

My favorite concept was how each girl was given a special "super power" that was unique to only her. I think that's a great message, that we all have different abilities and skills and everyone is needed to accomplish the goal. I liked how the girls did not compare their gifts to one another or get jealous, but instead they celebrated each others differences.

Although I enjoyed the girl power message, I thought that the author swung too far to the other side, by making the little boy in the story seem weak, embarrassed, and helpless. It would be good to emphasize that BOTH genders are important and necessary and BOTH genders need help sometimes. The message here seemed to be that girls are more powerful and smart and better than boys.

Also, it didn't make sense to me that the story was about three normal little girls who were just like "you and me" but then they meet a prince in the woods and bring him to the neighboring kingdom. It was as if the prince/fairytale theme came out of nowhere in the middle of the story.

Overall, I thought the book was "okay". Some good solid points about friendship and uniqueness, but lacked continuity and the deeper theme that I hoped for.


What my niece thought
While the book is a little wordy for toddlers, my niece still loved it! She loved the idea of princess superheroes and listened remarkably well for her age!

Get it
 
You can get the Super Duper Princess Superheroes from any major book retailer!

The Bottom Line
A fun and empowering book for girls who love princesses and super heroes, albeit a bit inconsistent in places. Written at a preschool/early elementary reading/listening level. 

No comments :