Thursday, January 30, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Felt Finger Puppet Frog Tutorial & Free Pattern

On Thursdays I'll repost old posts that I think are worth sharing again, many from my old blog Maman A Droit. I may make a few changes to them, primarily fixing errors and updating links. I hope you enjoy them as much this time around! The following post was originally published on April 1, 2011.

Introducing the newest addition to our felt finger puppet family...a frog! He'll be going in my son's Easter basket along with the bunny finger puppet I made earlier.



Materials Needed:

  • Green felt
  • White felt (scraps)
  • Black felt scraps and/or black thread for eyes
  • Green thread
  • White thread
  • Red or pink thread for mouth
  • Scissors
  • Embroidery needle
  • Two straight pins (optional)

This frog puppet is super easy. The head with eye bulges is all one piece, and pretty much all you have to do is sew on the eyes, nose and mouth, then assemble it all with some quick blanket stitch or backstitch. Which, in case I haven't mentioned, is really easy to learn. Believe it or not, I taught myself blanket stitch from a YouTube video just a few months ago!

Variations

If you want your frog finger puppet to be a toad finger puppet instead, you could use olive green felt and cut muddy brown spots out using the eye pupil circle from my pattern. Then, sew the spots at random on the body and face of the your toad. Muddy brown French knots can enhance the toady look.

For a tropical tree frog finger puppet, make the eye bulges a separate piece from the head itself and use bright orange or blue felt (or how cute would a hot pink and purple tree frog be?!?). Make a tummy circle out of the same bright color as the eye bulges (you can use the tummy oval from my monkey finger puppet pattern). Use black French knots to make a fun polka dot pattern if desired!

If you don't want to attempt sewing, you could use felt glue, but if you do I wouldn't recommend letting anyone who still chews toys play with it lest an eye come off!

The free PDF frog finger puppet pattern on Google docs is here.

No comments :