Thursday, February 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Homemade Playdough Recipe

On Thursdays I'll repost old posts that I think are worth sharing again, many from my old blog Maman A Droit. I may make a few changes to them, primarily fixing errors and updating links. I hope you enjoy them as much this time around! I originally posted this in May of 2010.

My mom recently found the play-dough recipe she made when we were kids. It's made of all edible ingredients, so it's safe to eat, but it's so salty, your kids probably won't be tempted to try it more than once (and yes, I know this because I ate it myself as a kid-I still remember the saltiness!)

What You Need
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cup salt
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tbsp cream of tartar
  • Food coloring or unsweetened Kool-Aid powder as desired (it'll be sorta off-white if you don't dye it. Yellow was my personal favorite playdough color as a kid!)
What You Do
  • Mix all ingredients in a large saucepan, then cook over medium heat until it's thick (hard to stir) and comes away from the edges of the pan.
  • Remove from pan and let cool on wax paper or parchment paper
  • Knead a few times with your hands.

We always stored it in a large ziplock bag until it eventually dried out.

2014 Update
I've made this playdough many times in the last four years, and I discovered that herbal tea is also a good dye for playdough if you want color from a more natural source that food coloring or kool-aid! The colors tend to be very muted, but pretty. To do this, soak teabags in three cups of hot water until it is well saturated. Allow the water to cool, then use it in the playdough just as you would plain water.

No comments :