Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Lottie doll review

What it is
Lottie dolls are 7.5" tall dolls designed to look like adventurous 9 year old girls (and her proportions are based on those of real 9 year olds!). Lottie dolls come in a variety of skin and hair tones and fun themes including pirate, equestrian, ballerina, naturalist, and more!


Who makes it
Lottie dolls are made by Arklu, a British toy company established in 2011. You can find them on Facebook and Twitter. 

Our thoughts
I got to check out the Spring Celebration Ballet Lottie and the raspberry ripple outfit and was very impressed by both. Her clothes are well made and she is a perfect size to be carried around by a preschooler or elementary school student. I love that her clothes are stylish and cheerful and fun but not "sexy" like so many popular dolls these days. They were also fairly easy to get on and off. Her tights in particular were much easier to get on and off than I remember Barbie tights being to get on and off (probably the lack of curves helps!) And I think the prices are pretty reasonable--about $20 for the dolls or pony and about $10 for the accessory/outfit sets.The only problem I had with our Lottie doll was that you can't really do her hair. While it is soft and shiny, it can't really be styled. When I braided her hair, her scalp became exposed near her bangs: 

When I tried pigtails, it was even worse, this time on the back of her head:

But a low ponytail did work okay: 




The only other thing I'd change would be to make it possible to buy some of the outfit sets that come with Lottie dolls. For example, I would've wanted the ballerina doll with dark hair and blue eyes like me, but I also would've wanted the pirate outfit. Actually it would be really fun to buy a bunch of Lottie dolls and a bunch of pirate outfits and then have a whole pirate crew!
Here are a few of the other Lottie dolls I love: 
And Snow Queen Lottie, which I predict will be one of the hottest toys for Christmas 2014 due partially to the popularity of another ice princess who recently graced the silver screens...


Pros
Cute
Age-appropriate
Knees bend
Well-made clothes
Reasonably priced
Soft shiny hair

Cons
Can't do hair
Can't order all outfits

The bottom line
A wonderful little doll that parents, grandparents and others can feel good about gifting girls this holiday season. 

Get it
You can buy Lottie dolls for $19.95 and the raspberry ripple outfit for $9.95 at time of posting this review. 

I received a free doll and outfit for review purposes but received no other compensation for this post. 

1 comment :

Loretta Boronat said...

That is good. I love how Lottie has all forms and variants of dolls for every personality. Those should help the kids learn essential creative and homemaking skills too, such as grooming and proper clothing, as well as patching up templates to fulfill an objective. Playing with dolls is never idle and wasteful for the young. Thanks for sharing that! All the best!

Loretta Boronat @ My Sibling and My Pal Dolls