Monday, June 8, 2015

The Whale in My Swimming Pool Children's Book Review

What it is
The Whale in my Swimming Pool is a book about a boy who heads out to his pool only to discover it's filled with a whale!


Who wrote it
Joyce Wan, a Mew York based author and illustrator of children's books and other adorable things. This is her first picture book (her board books sound adorable too!), but I hope not her last! You can find Wan on FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle PlusInstagram and YouTubeThe Whale in my Swimming Pool is published by Macmillan Kids

Our impressions
I thought this book was just right for a lighthearted summer picture book. I liked that it had a fairly simple (but deliciously ridiculous) premise and didn't go too far with it and get weird, but was very funny about it. The illustrations are colorful, cheerful, and kid friendly, plus don't just look the same as the illustrations for 10 million books coming out this year, which is refreshing. I think Wan's unique and charming style will win over lots of small readers (and their parents!)

My 5 year old said: "It was a funny book. My favorite part was (SPOILER ALERT!) the bear!" My 2 year old mostly seemed interested in the pictures, but did sit nicely to read it several times. 

Pros
Funny
Colorful

Cons


The bottom line
A well-illustrated picture book that'll tickle your kids' funny bone this summer.

Get it
You can buy The Whale in my Swimming Pool  from Amazon for $13.46 at time of posting this review. 

I received a free copy of this book for review purposes and received no other compensation for this post. 

No comments :