Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wear them Wednesday June 17, 2015

On Wednesdays I sometimes blog about a wrap, sling, or other baby carrier I've tried and loved, one I hope to try someday, and one way to wear a wrap, sling, or other carrier. 

One I love
Uncaged is a brand new woven wrap from perennial ring sling powerhouse Maya Wrap and I actually won one from them on Facebook and chose Jade, which is jade green and white. 

Maya Uncaged in Jade is a soft but very sturdy wrap made of a 50/50 blend cotton and merino wool. There's no scratchiness to it like some other woolies I've tried. It definitely needs some breaking in, but my toddler is ready for the job! Because of the wool, it requires special laundering. I personally use and recommend Eucalan laundry detergent and Eucalan wipes for wool wraps. 


It comes with a cute navy blue mesh bag (this wasn't mentioned in the listing so I don't know if it comes with all of them or if it's a bonus with just some like the pavo journals and wooden hearts and such!) that works well to store or transport it:

There's also a gigantic tag I'm not a fan of but realize is in response to new government regulations and not just that Maya wanted to do it. (As you may guess, legislation that essentially mandates giant ugly warning tags on beautiful woven wraps is definitely on the list of things crunchy conservatives hate). You're going to be seeing more and more of these from all the wrap companies, so I wouldn't hold it against Maya. Pictured with my hand for reference, but you should know I have extremely small hands for an adult. So it's even bigger than it looks here:

Ugh I need a cute toddler pic to distract me from that tag:


Uncaged also comes in three fantastic other colorsnavy, light blue, and orchid. 

Right side:
Wrong side:



The birds are fun and clear, but if I could change one thing, Id make the birds tossed instead of all totally vertical so that the wrap was easier to tie a variety of ways with the pattern still rightside up. Tying with the same edge always up over and over may lead to faster wear and more permacreases than if it could go either way. 

Overall I really like it though, especially the vibrant color, am looking forward to breaking it in, and am super excited that Maya Wrap took the plunge into woven wraps! 


You can find out more about Maya Wrap and their latest releases by connecting with them on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.


One I want
I absolutely love Spangled from American wrap company Poe WovensPoe Wovens is owned by a military veteran and celebrating our Stars & Stripes is near and dear to the founder's heart! There are two colorways and both are gorgeous. First up is "glory", with vibrant red, white, and blue in a blend of cotton and Tencel. 

Isn't it gorgeous?!?



The other colorway, "pure" is 100% cotton with an ivory mercerized weft, and I think it's an absolutely stunning natural colored wrap: 


While the pre-order for Spangled is closed, there will be a limited number available for purchase later this month when Poe Wovens stocks their summer release! You can connect with Poe Wovens on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest for more great pics and the scoop on other upcoming releases!

One way to wear it
This great post from Modern Babywearing has some of the best information I've ever seen about getting a good seat with a woven wrap. I hope it's helpful to you too!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Love the wrap. I'd love to get one. My baby has ds also. He's going to be 1 year old this week. I have a ring sling (hard on the back) and a Moby (too stretchy). Maybe one day. Anyway, I like your blog..sweet and interesting.